Steps in Applying for a TWIC Card

To obtain a TWIC card, an applicant must provide biographic and biometric information such as fingerprints, sit for a digital photograph and


successfully pass a security threat assessment.

3 Simple Steps to Apply for a TWIC Card Enrollment

  • Step 1 – go through the pre-enroll procedure online, by calling 866-DHS-TWIC, or by visiting your nearest enrollment center. To pre-enroll online, visit the Universal Enrollment Services (UES) website. Although pre-enrollment isn’t necessary, it will save you a lot of time when go to the enrollment center.
  • Step 2 – go to your nearest enrollment center to complete the application. While there, you’ll have to produce any requested documents, and get photographed and fingerprinted. They will then begin a background check on you.
  • Step 3 – you will receive a notification by email or phone that your card is ready. You’ll then go to the enrollment center, verify your identity, and pick up your card.




If you work on Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA) regulated vessels or at an MTSA-regulated facility, or service the U.S. Military, your employer has probably requested that you obtain a TWIC card. To begin with, you must be a U.S. citizen or be in one of these eligible immigration categories:


  • Permanent residents
  • Citizens of Micronesia, Palau, and the Marshall Islands
  • Refugees admitted under 8 U.S.C. 1157
  • Aliens granted asylum under 8 U.S.C. 1158
  • Non-citizens granted withholding of deportation or removal
  • Mexican and Canadian citizens who are commercial drivers who are licensed to transport hazardous material or conduct business in the U.S.
  • A-1 Visa holders and immediate family
  • A-2 Visa holders and immediate family
  • Business visitors with OCS or Outer Continental Shelf annotation on Visa
  • Business visitors with TWIC Letter Received annotation on Visa (TWIC annotated B-1 Visa)
  • Non-citizens with a C-1/D Visa
  • E-1 Visa holder or the Visa holder’s child or spouse
  • E-2 and E-3 Visa holders or the spouse of the Visa holder
  • F-1 Visa holders sponsored by MARAD
  • G-1, G-3 and G-4 Visa holders and immediate family
  • H1-B and H1-B1 Visa holders
  • J-1 Visa holders sponsored by MARAD